Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Importance of Being Earnest

So, our Canadian adventure is at an end and all I can say is....thank God!

I mean, don't get me wrong - it was a lovely trip - our friends Tasha and Kev are now happily married (they are seriously so darn cute!) and we had a great time. Wish we would have been there longer, to be honest - but vacations are never long enough, are they?

I was a bad bad girl, though.
I wasn't going to 'fess up - I was just going to let it slide and start up my exercising/dieting and go from there w/out a word about this bad badness, but I kind of find some comfort in confessing my sins. I wasn't raised Catholic, but consider this my "Bless me Father, for I have sinned..." moment.

For I have sinned.
The sin? Gluttony!
And what a beautiful glutton I was!

Okay, so, it COULD have been worse, but it COULD have been a LOT better. Ironically enough, I had more veggies in the past few days than I had had for awhile.

Beginning Friday night, we rolled into Ottawa and went to Tash & Kev's wedding rehearsal dinner - at a hibachi restaurant. For those who had never gone (like us - hibitchin' virgins) it's a restaurant where you sit around these great big grill tables and a chef stands there and prepares the food for you. We had allllll kinds of food - sushi (ack); mushroom broth (like it sounds - yet kinda tasty); tempura (stuff dipped in batter and fried - BAD! RED ALERT!!); a choice of chicken, beef or shrimp (I took the beef & chicken option) and various veggies (onions, mushrooms, zucchini and later, bean sprouts).

I learned two things.
1) I LOVE hibachi! Omg - so much fun!
2) I actually kinda dug the zucchini. I know, right? Weird!

So that was the food excess on Friday night. The end of the meal featured a shot of plum wine (tasty) and a bowl of vanilla ice cream (or orange sherbet - someone has to explain this whole orange-flavored thing - I mean, every "chinese" food restaurant has orange soda then the ubiquitous orange sherbet at the end).

Saturday we pretty much had a normal breakfast (I really tried to eat the oatmeal, but yuck - even with raisins!) but then we waited until about 5:30 for dinner - practically nothing in between. The wedding dinner was steamed veg, baked chicken with some sorta sauce on it (tasty, but unidentified) and rice.

So far, so good!

Then there came a big dessert. Well, several. Then later that night? Yeah, that's when the whole "eat sensible" thing fell through - looking back I realize it wasn't that bad - cuz suddenly appeared lots and lots of tidbits of stuff! Veggies, spinach dip (omg...), cold cuts....and cupcakes!!!!!!

>.>

Someone tell me why cupcakes are so darn tasty???

Anyway, Sunday was a repeat of the grand fete of Saturday night, only in our most comfortable clothes and a continuation of the hors d'ouerves. (Ottawa is Frenchies, dontcha know?) But then....oh then...things began to REALLY fall apart.

Anyone who has had poutine (omg) will understand where I'm coming from.
Cuz I had poutine.
What is poutine, one may ask? Well, first, it's pronounced "poo-teen". Second it's the most beautiful amalgam of  potato, cheese and gravy. Just imagine it! French fries, brown gravy and cheese curds. Omg.
*swoons*

Needless to say, it was a weekend of excessive badness. Of excessive food. Of excessive yumminess.
And now I'm ready to pay with excessive pay-ee-ness.

Ah well, I'm willing to accept the consequences....that's a good thing, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment